Re: Different RCVD_IN_DNSWL rules applied to my IP

Alessandro Vesely <vesely@xxxxxxx> writes:

> On Mon 05/Sep/2022 14:36:17 +0200 Greg Troxel wrote:
>> Alessandro Vesely <vesely@xxxxxxx> writes:

>>> Is that a political meddling?
>>
>> No, it's a perfectly sane policy.  DNSWL assigns trust levels based on
>> expectations about future behavior and the relative consequences
>> abenefits to relying parties.  Personal servers tend not to have large
>> IT organization with 24/7 cybersecurity watchstanders.  The amount of
>> things in HI is quite limited, and my impression is that it's mostly
>> banks and things like that (sending transactional mail and alerts).
>> Those have a much higher risk of false positives because (apparently)
>> the marketing people make them send HTML and put other crud and thus
>> they typically hit a bunch of smallish rules.
>>
>> I don't know why you think this is "political" or if it is which flavor of
>> political thought it would drive.
>

> It was partly tongue-in-cheek, opposing the tendency to use
> "professional" mail providers, which actually are not all that better
> than a well configured private MTA.  Indeed, the bigger they are the
> more they are targeted.
>
> Anyway, your explanation makes sense, especially the second part.  Thanks.

OK, I see where you are coming from.

Things like gmail are in NONE, and to me that's obviously because they
don't reliably not send spam.  I just got mail from gmail (which wasn't
spam), and it had RCVD_IN_DNSWL_NONE.

HI is for things where only official company things go out to customers.
I did find something from the US government in HI, that was in fact
transactional and not spam.